EIVA Online software - Hardware and Software Requirements
The EIVA Online SW solution is built on the MS Windows platform and supports pc's running Windows 10.
The OS must be delivered in the PRO version.
The installation on Windows 10 does not need any changes, only opening the firewall. See Running EIVA Software on Microsoft Windows 10.
The system requires .NET 4, which comes with the EIVA SW installer.
The Online SW is designed to utilize multiple processors, and we recommend the use of a multiple core pc.
- Minimum RAM: 8 GB
- Large and fast disk
- Graphics board: a fairly modern Graphics card should do. 4 GB RAM (not shared)
The software is compatible with both 64 and 32 bit OS, and a few modules utilize the 64 bit to the optimal performance.
Serial Sensor Interfacing is either done via the EIVA ATTU or build-in serial interface boards.
The ATTU is interfaced into the online SW modules using a network interface and it requires no special HW. It may in certain installation be considered if the ATTU network is separated from the ordinary vessel network. It that case it will require a second network interface board on the pc.
The online supports most windows compatible interface boards, but on Windows 7 it is important to check for compatibility. EIVA is normally using MOXA or Digiboard solutions for our installations.
EIVA Offline software - Hardware and Software Requirements
The EIVA offline software components NaviEdit, NaviModel and NaviPlot all require to be executed on a PC platform with a Microsoft Windows operating system.
The software is designed to be capable of running on any computer supporting Windows 7 and upwards, as long as there are free resources (RAM and CPU) after the operating system and the SQL server has been loaded.
To guarantee reasonable performance and response time, the following is recommended, as a minimum:
- 8 GB
- 64-bit operating system. The software can be executed on 32-bit, but the overall performance is heavily improved on 64-bit platforms
- Quad core processor. The software utilises threaded calculations, and the optimal solution is obtained with 4 or more cores
- Large and fast disk – preferably a RAID or SSD system
- Graphics board with OpenGL version 1.5 or higher. 4 GB RAM (not shared)
NaviEdit is a so-called multi-process application. This means that each task (importing, data management, editing, batch jobs and processing) is performed in its own process.
This results in a very fault tolerant multitasking scenario as each process is executed on its own core.
NaviEdit is a 32-bit application. It is compatible with 64-bit operating systems, but does not take benefit from it.
NaviEdit is not using or requiring any special graphics card operations.
NaviEdit uses the Microsoft SQL server. This will typically allocate its own core or be executed remotely at the server.
The Microsoft SQL Server included in the latest NaviEdit 8.6 installer is SQL Server 2019 Express.
This SQL Server requires Windows 10 64-bit.
NaviEdit can connect to either SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2017 and SQL Server 2019.
The free version has 10 GB database size limit.
For an installation on a Windows 7 computer, you just need to download the free SQL Server 2012 Express version or connect to a SQL Server on another computer. And select the Select this option to connect to a SQL Server on another computer.
If the Online QC feature is used, the Microsoft SQL server must be installed on the pc.
A free edition can be downloaded from the Microsoft home page.
NaviModel is a single application multi-threaded solution.
Each operation will (when possible) be distributed on several threads, where each thread will use the core with the lowest load.
NaviModel is available both in a 32- and in a 64-bit version. The module detects the current operating system and starts automatically in the optimum mode.
Special operations with heavy data management (e.g. S-CAN cleaning and data exporters) will perform significantly better on a 64-bit platform.
NaviModel uses OpenGL for all drawing operations, and the performance is heavily depending on the graphics board, in particular on the specifications for speed and addressable RAM.
It is the general experience, that the following performance issues shall be considered with respect to hardware platform:
- Hard disk speed (all modules perform countless disk I/O)
- Amount of (addressable) RAM (in particular in connection with NaviModel)
- Multi-core PC
Minimum hardware and software requirements for training laptops and laptops used in virtual trainings:
For training purposes (participation in EIVA Training courses or in relation to self-studying scenarios), common requirements related to the Online/Offline HW and SW are reduced slightly:
- Operating system MS Windows 10 Pro Edition will be adequate (64-bit version)
MS Windows 10 Home Edition is not recommended. If you use it, inform us beforehand please.
MS Windows 10 running as virtual machine on a Mac (via software: Parallel desktop) is not supported.
- CPU Intel i5 or i7 with minimum 4 cores / AMD equivalent
- Memory 8 GB RAM is minimum, 16 GB is a good idea
- Storage Device Solid State Drive (SSD) is recommended. HDD can also be used, if SSD is not available
- Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 700, 900, or 10xx series or better (GeForce 600M or better for mobile)
AMD R5/R7/R9/RX or better
- Newer CPUs with Intel graphics 620/630 or better
Support for OpenGL 4.1+
- Monitor A resolution of about FULL HD (1920x1080)
- Mouse 2-button mouse with scroll wheel or 3-button mouse
- The Windows user needs to have administrator rights
- Firewall settings must be disabled (Browse to Windows Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall and here you can use the option eg turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off